This recipe is stolen from my sister, who got it from someone else.
She has no right keeping it to herself anyway. Christmas is a time to be giving after all.
You may be skeptical of the mixture of flavours at first, but the pomegranate seed sweetness mixed with the more even tone of avocado is delightful!
I particularly enjoy how the red and green contrast of the fruits screams “Feliz Navidad” from the bowl.
- 3 Cloves of Garlic minced
- 4-5 Avocados
- 1/4 Teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/2 Sweet White Onion
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Pear cut into small pieces
- 1/2 a pomegranate, seeds extracted
How to make the flavours party in a bowl:
- Pit the avocados and scoop out centers. Place in bowl.
- Add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 3 cloves of minced garlic to the bowl with avocados. Mash with fork or potato masher.
- In a food processor mince 1/2 sweet white onion with lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Add the onion mixture to the bowl with avocados mix and stir to gently to combine.
- Fold in the pieces of pear to the onion and avocado mix.
- Give it a taste before the next step. If necessary, add a bit more chili powder, garlic or pepper.
- Separate the pomegranate seeds from the skin under cold water in a bowl. Gently pull the seeds from the casing using your fingers.
- Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds on top. Wish people a merry Christmas. No no no – no objections, you really must. It’s part of the process.
Helpful hints: if you aren’t serving for awhile, dash some lime juice on top – it helps keep the avocados from browning.